Another Strange Coincidence. How many are there?

I Was Just Reading Along Online About Various Crimes That Have Been Written. Something I often do. I’m not sure why True Crime interests me, but I’m intrigued by those stoeies.

As I was reading a couple of names appeared that I recognized.

They are a couple I met a few years ago. Carl and Tricia Adams Pool (Tricia is a member of this group) from Jonestown. They even own a ranch and wedding venue right here just out of Bertram.

They are mentioned in the later part of this article. This incident happened a long time before we met.

I contacted Tricia to ask if she minded me submitting it here. She gave me permission.


The Title Of The Story I was Reading was: Another sad day for law enforcement…

One Grand Prairie police officer was killed and another injured Friday when a man opened fire on them at a Wal-Mart parking lot.

Police surrounded a blue van in which the suspect was believed to be holed up after the shootings, which happened about 9:10 a.m., and about 3:30 p.m. a SWAT team entered the vehicle and found a man dead inside.

Police said Sgt. Gregory Hunter, 54 and the first black officer hired by the department and a 20-year veteran, was killed after being hit twice by bullets at the scene. Officer Bruce Seix, 44, who was also hit twice, was is in critical condition at Methodist Medical Center, said Kathleen Beathard, spokeswoman for the hospital.

Ms. Beathard said “all indications are” the officer will pull through. He was reportedly conscious and speaking after being transported to the hospital.

Police and law enforcement officials from Grand Prairie. Arlington, Irving, and Mansfield, plus U.S. Marshals, Texas Rangers, and Tarrant and Dallas County sheriff’s deputies were at the scene.

The incident began about 9:09 a.m. when Sgt. Hunter arrived at the store, at Great Southwest Parkway and Interstate 20, to check on the blue van that had been reportedly sitting in the parking lot all night with the engine running, police said.

He and Officer Seix were both shot, but Officer Seix was able to return fire, with bullets striking the van and probably the suspect.

“So we’re not sure if the person inside was struck or not,” said Det. John Brimmer. “We’re not sure if the person inside was shot and died or has succumbed to the heat.”

Police said a civilian picked up one of the officers’ radios and told police that the shooting had occurred.

Sherice Jenkins said she and her daughter were chatting with a friend in front of Wal-Mart when they heard five booms in rapid succession about 9:30 a.m. They immediately knew they were gunshots.

She looked over to the source of the shots and saw an officer with his pistol drawn moving from the side of the blue van to the front, firing into the windshield. She said it appeared that the officer then ran back to the side of his patrol car.

“When we heard the shots, my daughter ran up and grabbed my hand and tried to pull me back into the store,” she said. “I was like, wow, someone’s hurt or dead.”

A Wal-Mart employee said the original call asking police to investigate came after an employee heard strange noise from inside the van.

“I was sitting the car talking to my mother on the cell phone, then all the cops were coming from every direction and surrounded them from every direction and were pulling their guns out,” said Lynne White, who sat in her car for about 45 minutes after the standoff began before going into the Wal-Mart.

Bruce Seix Since noon, officers including a three-man negotiating team had been trying to contact the suspect inside the van, addressing him over a public address system:

“Let us know that you are willing to communicate by honking your horn,” an officer said. “We’re concerned for your safety. You will not be harmed. We’re here with medical attention if you are hurt.”

There was never any response. About 2:20 p.m. police set off seven flash bang grenades and inserted tear gas into the van. For hours, they stood at the scene with guns drawn, crouched behind patrol cars and two fire trucks near the blue camper-style van.

At least six patrol cars were at the scene. One patrol car, with three of its doors open and lights flashing, was directly behind the bullet-riddled van.

Wal-Mart officials are trained for lock-down situations such as bomb threats or tornadoes and enacted those procedures after the shooting began, an employee said.

“At first when we were told to go in, I was scared,” said Destiny Glover, about age 9. “There wasn’t really anyone to play with in there.”

She said she felt much better when food was served. Some customers dug into their own groceries, already paid for.

Customers were asked to remain in the back of the store, and several sat around in patio chairs, hanging out and watching the situation outside on TVs in the electronics section.

“A lot of us were gathered around the TV set watching the news,” said Destiny’s mother, Janet Glover, a probation officer for Dallas County.

About noon, people who had parked their cars beside or behind the Wal-Mart were allowed to begin leaving. Ms. Jenkins’ car was parked near the van, so she and her daughter set off to walk home in the sticky heat.

Carl Pool and his wife, Tricia, of Austin were in the area for a golf tournament sponsored by his company, Richmond Oil & Gas. They pulled up in his new black, white and tan RV in the Wal-Mart parking lot about 9 p.m. Thursday.

When his sister met them at the RV to go to dinner, they noticed the blue van had pulled up close to their motor home, about 54 feet away. Mr. Pool said his sister noticed two men around the car.

The Pools slept in their motor home for the first time last night, and Mr. Pool said his wife heard a noise outside about 4 a.m. “I was awakened with a banging on the bus because I thought I was just hearing things and I was kind of groggy,” Ms. Pool said.

This morning, her husband went to play golf at 7 a.m. and she again heard someone tampering with the motor home’s door. After shouting out, the person went away, Mr. Pool said.

“Something was going on that scared her,” Mr. Pool said. “When you’re out there by yourself and there’s someone out there invading your space you’re kinda like, ‘What are you doing.'”

When she was leaving at 8:15 a.m. she said the van not there. The Pools were not at the scene when the standoff began.

“We were gone when it happened, thank God,” he said. “If they shot two officers, they could have robbed or shot at us.”

The only other Grand Prairie police officer to die in the line of duty was Lyndon King. Officer King was killed on March 1, 1982, when a drunken driver swerved across three lanes of traffic on Interstate 30 and crashed into the officer’s patrol car. Officer King, who was investigating an accident, died when his car struck him. The Grand Prairie Police Department building is named after Officer King, who was the son of longtime Justice of the Peace Ann King.

During the long standoff Friday, a Buffalo Wild Wings employee gave free water to members of the media and other onlookers. About seven people in street clothes watched the scene from the roof of the Wal-Mart.

Some highway traffic was diverted, with the service road blocked off between Great Southwest Parkway and Carrier Parkway. Interstate 20 was closed between Spur 408 in Dallas and Highway 360 on the Arlington-Grand Prairie line.