Strange how much of it doesn’t look so much different 129 years later. (First photo)
Processing limestone caused the community of McNeil to continue through the years, but it was the coming of the railroad that marked its place. In 1882, the railroad came through the area from Round Rock to Austin. George McNeil, section foreman on the Austin and Northwestern Railroad, was in charge of the construction of the line and the grading of the roadbed. Besides the kilns and the railroads, McNeil was also known for its caves and a highly publicized 1897 robbery of an International and Great Northern train.
Today Wells Branch Parkway merges with McNeil Road in the community located just south of the Williamson and Travis County boundary line.
Photograph of lime kilns in McNeil One of the oldest businesses in Travis County is the Austin White Lime Company at McNeil. The first lime kiln was built in this northwestern part of the county around 1857, because of the limestone deposits there. In 1888 the plant was established as Martin and Walker, with A.F. Martin becoming the sole owner a year later. By this time the railroads had come and along with the ease of shipping the company prospered. In 1912, Alfred Robinson joined the company; today his family still runs the business. …portal to Texas History
The Main Plant – 1890
The Old Company Store
Aerial View of Plant and Quarries
View from McNeil Road
View from Howard Lane