My Food Phobia

The mind works in mysterious ways. At least I know mine does. I claim to have an eating disorder. No it’s not anorexia.

I have a difficult time eating if I don’t know the cleanliness practices that were used while preparing food. I didn’t grow up worrying about such things, but for my adult life I’ve had this fear. I know it’s irrational to go into a fast food place where 12 teenagers, without a care in the world past body piercings and heavy metal music are preparing food that has been handled by who knows what.

Those places are all suppose to have health department standards but we all know how many of them get failing grades when the health department shows up. Proof that it’s all in my head, because I eat in fast food establishments most of the time.

This phobia of mine goes back to when I was just turning 21 years old.

To celebrate our August 1973 birthdays, Madeline booked a trip of a lifetime for us. We went to Big Bend and spent a day or two. Then on to Presidio, Texas where we boarded a train leaving out of Ojinaga, Mexico.

This trip has some of the most breathtaking scenery imaginable. For miles and miles you skirt along the rim of the Copper Canyon. That being the lower end of the Grand Canyon. As we traveled along we saw several complete trains laying in the bottom of enormous deep canyons. When they jumped the track, there was no stopping them, nor retrieving them.

Our first night was a stopover in Chihuahua at beautiful historic hotel. Of Poncho Villa fame.

Next morning back on the train for another day of breathtaking views. That night we arrived in Los Mochas. We were treated to fantastic accommodations.

We ate at the hotel, both had shrimp fixed the same way.

Afterwards we went to bed , with plans to go on to the little fishing village of Topolobamo the next morning.

About 2:00 am I awoke with the most severe pains I’d ever felt. The feeling of being stabbed with hot knives was my best description.

I’m sure my screams were unnerving to Madeline.

Once the pain got to a certain level I would pass out, only to wake up after a little while to go through the same thing all over again.

We had became aquatinted with another couple on the trip down, that were from Baton Rouge, La. Luckily she was a Registered Nurse. Unable to find a doctor to come to me or a place they could take me to, they did the next best thing. They went to a pharmacy and loaded up on anything that would help me survive. Lot of pain meds. After surviving for that whole day, i just want to get back to Texas.

To only way out was a 24 hour point to point train trip. I really don’t remember the trip back.

Sometime along the way back I felt like taking pictures. When we developed the film there were some bizarre photos is the best way I can describe it.

We arrived back in Texas the next day. No hospital in Presidio so she took me to Alpine, about 3 hours away.

I don’t remember any of that 2 days. I can only imagine what we must have looked like trying to re-enter the US.

After getting me in the caring hands of hospital, she went to a hotel to get some rest.

When she showed up at the hospital early the next morning I was dressed and sitting on the front steps. Seeing her drive up was the first time I remember anything. She wanted to know if they released me. I suppose I found my clothes, got dress and wondered out unnoticed.

I went and got in the car and refused to go back inside. I don’t think I had any idea where I was. I’m not sure why I wouldn’t go back in, but I just wanted to see Austin, Texas.

Eventually she came out we made our way back home.

During that few days I lost about 25 lbs. That’s a lot for someone that only weighted about 150.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s